Nighted Life Presents: Jared Gaustad
Been following this dude’s stuff for a while, and since he’s a fellow bay boy, I knew we’d link up eventually. Here’s 20 questions with the homie:
1. Favorite bay area rapper? Man thats a hard one, would have to be between Andre Nickatina and Mac Dre.
2. What did you do yesterday? Cruised out to Half Moon Bay to grill up some dank tostadas with my homie Andrew then headed up to Mt. Higgins for a lil hike, climbed some trees, I finished off a roll in the process. Then ate at this custom burger joint called The Counter, hands down one of the best burgers I’ve had in awhile, I HIGHLY recommend. After that sat in traffic all the way home, lurked the web, worked on some designs, took a benadryl and crashed. Solid day.
3. Where the weed at? Beez in the trap, shouts out to the feds reading this.
4. Where do you want to go that you’ve never been before? Norway. Im hella Norwegian and everyone I’ve talked to thats been there says I look exactly like every other fool out there so I just want to show up and be like “ Yo! My people! whats good!” The landscape shots I’ve seen on google makes it look well worth the trip as well, definitely want to do some roaming there.
5. What’s the closest you’ve ever come to dying? This really gnarly car accident my mom and I were in when I was 9. Long story short, we flipped end over end 7 times down the highway at 70+mph (says witnesses) from a drunk driver that pulled out in front of us. They said the only thing that kept the roof of the car from caving in was the headrests that held it up, otherwise… well yeah wouldn’t be doing this interview right now. Shouts out to headrests and seat belts.
6. Do you like reality? All I know about reality is that its essentially what we are able to access and interact with through our 6 senses (arguably) and that the bed I went to sleep in is the same bed I woke up in. Without it we wouldn’t have the ability to create something out of nothing, so hell ya reality’s tight, shouts out to reality.
7. Are you happy? Currently yes very, things are starting to fall into place and make a bit more sense these days. Looking forward for whats to come.
8. Who would you most like to take photos of? Anyone that wants me to take their photo really but if I had to choose, it’d definitely be a Riff Raff in a day in the life shoot. The world needs more Riff Raffs.
9. Would you rather be able to fly or become invisible on command? Im trying to spread my wings and fly!
10. What’s that shit you don’t like? Sweaty socks, that’s that shit I don’t like. BENGBENG
11. Do you like Taylor Swift? Biggest fan right here.
12. What’s a camera you want but don’t have? Technically I don’t have it yet, but I just recently snaked the winning bid last minute on a Hasselblad 530 with a Phase One digi back and Zeiss 50mm. I’ve been wanting to shoot medium format for awhile and this setup just so happened to be everything I would’ve eventually wanted to invest in. It was meant to be for sure.
13. Have you ever voted for a president? Not one.
14. Favorite cuss word? The “F” word
15. Do you care what your family does with your body when you die? I guess it all depends how I go out but for the most part, not really. Whatever they want Im cool with.
16. What would you do if you won the lottery? Set my mom up so she never has to work another day in her life and put the rest into a custom Paul Wall grill.
17. If you had to wake up to one song every day forever what would it be? 3 Kings - Slim Thug. Its funny you ask, thats my wake up alarm ringtone.
18. Why do people break rules? Got that “fuck it” in they system.
19. What’s something you wished you had your camera for, but didn’t? It’d probably have to be when my friends and I in Texas would film what we called ‘FamousVideos’ back in high school, very similar in comparison to what the Jackass guys were doing. They were shot on video so there IS evidence of the stupid stuff we would come up with but I just think back to if I had the gear and frame of mind I do now it would’ve been so tight. I always make sure to not have that regret anymore though. Stay strapped
20. Do you know what NIGHTED means? Not specifically. I was “knighted” on my 17th birthday at Medieval Times and awarded for my merits, so maybe something along those lines? Regardless of the meaning I’m down for the cause. NIGHTEDLIFER